We have been attending a new church, Community Covenant Church, as a family on Sunday mornings. The children LOVE the children's program. However, this morning our church didn't have children's church (a week off to prepare for the new Fall Program starting next week ). So, we decided to go to the beach EARLY (7 AM) to have breakfast and so that Rich could go for a run. It was a beautiful morning: sunny, a little cool, a little breezy, few people, even fewer dogs (although one nearly ruined our morning). We ate our bagels, watched several folks prepare their catamarans--no small feat incidentally, plucked the most beautiful shells from the tide, skipped some rocks, and began our sand castles.
One by one, they were led into the ocean for baptism by immersion.
The beauty of the beach and the simple (yet very ritualistic) ceremony brought tears to my eyes. I watched with a sense of intrigue and pride that somehow we were connected, although through different displays of worship, to a larger family. I silently thought that if all of us worshipped and praised with fewer reservations, this world, this country and in particular, the Northeast, might not be in the mess it is. We were blessed to be able to witness this ceremony, such a personal and life-changing moment for these youngsters and their families. 

Its not often one finds a cross on the beach and I thought it was so beautiful. I'm pretty sure it was no coincidence that we there so early this morning--skipping church. Praise and worship takes many forms: today I praise Him for allowing me to witness this baptism.
Side note: I only took photos of this ceremony because one of the members of their group was also. I'm assuming they would have asked me to stop if they felt disrespected. I'm hoping to mail some of my photos to their church (once I find out where they worship).



2 comments:
Kara,
How beautiful. I am sure it was not accident that you were there that morning. Worship does come in many forms and what you experienced was very pure.
Have a great day.
Dana
What a beautiful thing to be witness to. Amazing images - especially moving with Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace" in the background. It's it cool that even when we think we're in control and taking a break (in your example, skipping church) that He still shows up in a mighty way and has something amazing for us to behold. As if He were in control of your plans the entire time. =)
I sure hope you can share your pictures with these people, I know they would cherish them.
Post a Comment